Prof. Sonia Livingstone has written a link-filled post relating to a panel she’s on at the Digital Families 2018 conference. In it, she talks about six myths around children in the digital age:
- Children are ‘digital natives’ and know it all.
- Parents are ‘digital immigrants’ and don’t know anything.
- Time with media is time wasted compared with ‘real’ conversation or playing outside.
- Parents’ role is to monitor, restrict and ban because digital risks greatly outweigh digital opportunities.
- Children don’t care about their privacy online.
- Media literacy is THE answer to the problems of the digital age.
Good stuff, and the post and associated links are well worth checking out.
Source: Parenting for a Digital Future
Comments are closed.